Project Size: 84sqm
I have to admit on this one, after we got the call to come out and have a look at our clients driveway, I was in shock at the condition it was in….to say the least.
Originally, it was poured with a wet stencil finish, which in itself was a nice finish, but as all the houses on this street have clearly been built by the same builder and have the same finish, our clients looked to change it up a bit by extending the width, then resurfacing it. This of course was by another contractor who can clearly be catagorised in the “cowboy” section of lunatics that always seem to be hanging around like that shady uncle at birthday parties.
After having a handful of resurfacing contractors come out and simply say there’s nothing they can do, I had a good look over the condition of the concrete and came to the conclusion that, although it visually looked terrible, the actual concrete wasn’t in that bad a condition. So I organised a price for our clients to grind off all the existing covercrete product, then go about giving them a proper, professional finish to their lovely home.
With quote approved, we commenced work a few weeks later. First of all, we took to the extended section of concrete to first remove the compound from that, however, after taking off around 10sqm of it, it was clear that the concrete the contractor had used for the extension was possibly just mortar, and unfortunately this section had to be removed and replaced before resurfacing. The original driveway and pathways would be ok, but this section was just nowhere near a good canvas to work on.
So away we went to return with a quick cut and machine to demolish appoximately 30sqm of the existing concrete (decided to remove some pathways as well in favour of having fresh new concrete to work with considering minimum charges for demolition and dumping).
With these sections now removed, we doweled all the new concrete into place, re-braced some of the existing driveway with underpin footings in soft spots, and re-aligned some of the paths for a more symmetrical finish. Then of course, pouring all the new concrete to Australian Standard 32MPA throughout…just to make sure of the quality.
Leaving the job for now, I actually took a bit of a break to the snow with my daughter, we don’t get to get away very much, so taking every opportunity we can is a must. Returning in about a week to again commence the grinding off of the remaining sections of existing covercrete, along with grinding the original driveway surface remove the wet stencil that was underneath the covercrete, then finishing it all off with an extremely heaving 5/4 ratio of hydrochloric acid to really make sure no baddies remain to stop our bonding.
From here our surfaces were primed, then a single coat of standard covercrete was applied to the new concrete sections, then a double coat of heavily modified, thickened covercrete was applied to the old wet stencil sections which had plenty of lumps and bumps in it as you can imagine.
With everything rubbed back and controls re-cut and bevelled, we then taped on our relatively simple pattern and applied our top coatings of spray covercrete along with our flecks and acrylic sealer.
We decided to keep the design simple on this project, which is a shame because the house had some nice colouring to it, along with nice definitive lines and angles to work with, but in the end, this driveway has had an extremely tough life, and if our clients do need to do any patch up work along the way (which shouldn’t be needed however), it will be a much easier process with a simple design.
Our clients on this project were wonderful. I like to think that our professionalism and work history warrants a good level of trust being given to us, and our clients here were no exception. Willing to listen and understand the process, even being accepting of changes to the plan of attack along the way, you guys truly were a pleasure to work with and certainly didn’t deserve to have been a victim of the previous contractor who you worked with.
Thank you kindly for your work and I wish you all the best with future endeavours.