Location: Pacific Pines
Project Size: 73sqm
Coming up to the Commonwealth games, we decided to make a run for it and have a few weeks off, finally getting a long deserved holiday. However, after this was cut short with horrific weather on the Sunshine Coast (irony), we decided to get stuck into the heavy work load we have in front of us.
First off the ranks was our new clients over at Pacific Pines. Their existing driveway was an old fashioned, wet stencilled finish which as with all finishes of that area, are great when they’re new, but fade and look old rather quickly. Time for a refresh then.
Our client on this one wanted to keep things relatively simple, just work with what colours were already there, break it up with a simple block border and keep any patterning out of it.
So with this in mind, we began work firstly by whipping out the floor grinder and getting stuck into the existing surface. Now given this concrete has had years since the last time it was sealer, as well as being in relatively good condition as far as stains and everything go, a full grind back flat was not necessary. The grinder was run over a few times on worse areas getting back to that porous concrete we needed for bonding, then the remainder taken back to a similar level that I was comfy with apply our new products.
Seeming as though we had a bit of a rough surface from the old wet stencil, my base coating was modified and thickened and applied twice creating a “nearly” smooth surface. I then loaded up another standard bag of cover crete, screwed on my 8mm larger nozzle and loosely applied a larger indentations throughout the surface. What this does is create a false surface devoid of the dips and bumps from the old patterning.
We then applied our border throughout, taped that off and proceeded to spray the main area with two coats of top colour, finally completing another top coat with the larger 8mm nozzle, keeping this on for our flecking throughout the same colour as the border.
What this whole process gives us essentially, is 6 coats in varying textures and thickness’s to completely eliminate any of the old pattern showing through.
As always, two coats of High Build Enduro Sealer from Concrete Colour Systems was applied, this being a more expensive sealer, but the extra quality of product far outweighs the extra cost, especially when tying to provide nothing but the best for our clients.
Thank you kindly to our clients as always, you were nothing but a pleasure to work for and we hope to run into you again some day.