Water Problem Solved Willowvale

Exposed Drainage Area Willowvale

Project Description

Location: Willowvale
Project Size: 25sqm

This is one of the projects we got completed this week, both of them being concreting jobs. I’m not going to do a write up on the first one down at Burleigh Heads, as it was a pretty straight forward driveway entrance. But this one here, was a little different, took a lot of expertise to complete and came up really nicely.

Our client had been dicked around by a previous concreter who had completed some other work down the side of the house. They had also quoted this project out the back, but from what I can make out, stuffed up the quote being extremely cheap on it, then instead of re-negotiating…simply went missing. Which of course is fine by me, being happy to step in and take the reigns making sure the client got what they were after.

Being only a small job it doesn’t seem like a lot of work, but it took 4 days to put this project together, most of the time, the small jobs are more technical and difficult, leading them to be harder than the big jobs.

We basically had a water problem out the back, no sunshine so grass wouldn’t grow and all the falls going back to the house. There is existing drainage, but with a soft landscape, the water was having troubles reaching the drain areas.

I proposed a small nib / retaining wall installed on the back side in plain concrete, something to allow us to dig down the required depth without the existing ground then being an eye sore going up from it. This also allowed for a small garden section to be installed between the new wall and the fence. This wall will later be rendered and painted to suit the surrounds, finishing the area off nicely.

The real trick with this job was matching the existing aggregate that had been installed. With no way to contact the previous concreter, we basically just had to take a stab at it working off a small sample and pretty much hope for the best. Now everyone knows it’s nearly impossible to match aggregates, even with the exact stone from the same supplier, at different stages of pours, the stones can come out a little different given the natural nature of the products.

On this occasion though….we completely nailed it. The stone is nearly the exact size and the colours match nearly perfectly. Not 100%, but close enough that you wound’t notice unless you were told. This doesn’t happen all the time, so when it does, I take the opportunity to blow my own horn.

We finished everything off with a nice 7-10% exposed, installed control joints and will now return on Monday to finish off with a quick acid clean.

As always, thank you so much to our client for your business and also waiting for us to get there (5 weeks I think on this one). There’s a reason we’re flat out busy and I hope our results on this project have proven a good decision by our client to use us.

Exposed Drainage Area Willowvale
Exposed Drainage Area Willowvale
Exposed Drainage Area Willowvale
Exposed Drainage Area Willowvale
Exposed Drainage Area Willowvale
Exposed Drainage Area Willowvale

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *